The Comox Valley offers an incredible number of things to do for people who enjoy getting out and exploring, eating, outdoor recreation, cultural activities, relaxing, and sporting events. Often, this can happen with little or no expense involved. Here are a few of my favorites. There is much more to do here than browse homes and properties in all parts of Courtenay.
First, visit the Comox Marina and talk a walk out onto the long pier that wraps around the harbour area where all of the boats are moored. The scenery is spectacular, the fresh Pacific air is invigorating, and the overall impact is relaxing. As you walk out onto the walk way stop about ½ way on the rights and read about our local history;
Second, enjoy the Comox Spit and the awesome vistas looking southward into the Georgia Strait. Take a stroll down the beach and just sit and watch the boats, marine life and fish. Sitting on the beach at sunset can be particularly calming and a great way to end a day in paradise;
Third, participate in some of the local farmers markers and enjoy some of our great culinary spots that range from local bistros to finer dining. Also check out some of the wine tasting opportunities at some of our local wineries. The Comox Valley Farmers Market is located at the Courtenay Exhibition Grounds from May through October. From November through April the market can be found indoors at the Native Sons Hall in Courtenay. Many smaller markets are located in various locations throughout the valley. Local Wineries include the 40 knots on Anderton Road in Comox, the Beaufort on Pickering Road in Courtenay, and the Coastal Black on Endall Road in Black Creek.
Fourth, take part in local events and enjoy a variety of festivals. Some that are coming up are;
1. A Tribute to Elvis Presley at the Sid Williams Theatre in Courtneay (March 20, 2015);
2. Aspenglow Food and Drink Festival at the Mount Washington Resort (March 21, 2015);
3. PGA Tour Qualifier Golf Event at the Crown Isle Resort (May 5-8, 2015);
4. Art and Bloom Festival at the Kitty Coleman Woodlands Gardens (May 24-26, 2015);
5. BC Shellfish and Food Festival at various locations in the Valley (Jun 12-21, 2015);
6. Fireworks and the Symphony at the Courtenay Air Park (July 4, 2015);
7. Vancouver Island Music Festival at the Comox Valley Exhibition Grounds (Jul 10-12);
8. Downtown Courtenay Market Days (Jul 18, 2015);
9. The Filberg Festival at the Filberg Heritage Lodge & Park (Jul 31 – Aug 3, 2015);
10. Comox Nautical Days on BC Day Long Weekend at Comox Marina Park (August 1-3 2015);
11. Comox Air Show at CFB Comox (Aug 15, 2015); and
12. Comox Valley Exhibition at the exhibition grounds in Courtenay (aug 28-30, 2015).
Fifth, if you enjoy great hamburgers, French fries and take out Chinese food, visit Georges Food Bar located at the bottom of Comox Avenue in Courtenay. This local family owned business produces great comfort food and it has been a landmark in the Valley for decades. Enjoy!