Union Bay Overview
Union Bay was once a deep-water port that was used to load coal taken from the mines of the Union Coal Company in Cumberland. At the time, the two areas were connected by a 13 mile railway. At the peak of the operation, this area was home to about 10,000 people. The last sailing ship to carry coal out of this area left in 1946 but smaller freighters and barges continued to be used into the 1950s.
Union Bay, BC is currently a small community of about 1200 people located approximately 9 miles south of Courtenay along Highway 19A and across from the North end of Denman Island and Sandy Island Marine Provincial Park. This unincorporated site is connected with the Union Bay Improvement District. This village now relies on shellfish taken from Baynes Sound for its economic vitality. A number of the historic buildings were relocated and restored by the Union Bay Historical Society. They can be viewed along Heritage Row just off of highway 19A. Union Bay dates back to 1887.